This recipe for tomato basil pasta kept popping up everywhere. A friend on Facebook made it and received rave reviews from her husband. And I would spot it at least once on my daily browse through Pinterest.
One Pot Wonder? Yes please. As a mom of a 13 month old, I need quick and easy recipes. Just throw it all in a large pot, cover, boil for 10 minutes and voila, you have a delicious pasta dish. The only thing I would do differently is lessen the amount of red pepper flakes, as I like spice, but not too much of it.
TOMATO BASIL PASTA
- 12 ounces linguine pasta
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid ( I used zesty red pepper flavor)
- 1 large sweet onion, cut in julienne strips
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 large sprigs basil, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (regular broth and NOT low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil.
Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.
Be sure to check our Pinterest food boards for more great, easy recipes!