A look inside our November/December 2013 issue
Note: To access free preview articles, please click the "preview" button to temporarily bypass the subscriber login screen.
Digital Exclusive Feature:
- Cave in to Adventure! – FREE DIGITAL PREVIEW!
Forget camping in the woods, try camping in a cave! by Tara Lynne Groth
Worth a Click - Online Exclusives:
- Delicious Mountain Recipes – FREE ONLINE EXTRA!
Check out four delicious recipes from some of the restaurants featured in Cara Ellen Modisett’s story about her favorite diners and dives.
- More Photos from Butterwood Branch – FREE ONLINE EXTRA!
Check out more of Laurie McClellan’s photos from our story about hiking the Butterwood Branch Trail.
- Late Fall Comes to the Mountains - FREE DIGITAL PREVIEW!
The air is crisp, the leaves still hanging on here and there, even as the first snow flies. Photography by Lori Kincaid
- Explore West Virginia Covered Bridges (subscribers only)
Photography by Steve Shaluta
- Fall Travel to Restaurants, Diners and Dives (subscribers only)
What better way to enjoy autumn treks than with built-in food destinations in North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia? by Cara Ellen Modisett
- What’s New in these Hills? - FREE DIGITAL PREVIEW!
A new Virginia resort has just opened, and another is planned for Dollywood. And there’s more. by Su Clauson-Wicker
- Life and Death in Butterfield Branch (subscribers only)
Three hikers set out bushwhacking through Shenandoah National Park in search of signs of life that disappeared decades back. by Sue Eisenfeld
- Mountain-Classic Recipes (subscribers only)
Foods taste even better when they have a tie to our past and our region. Here are five you can create at home this holiday season. by Fred Sauceman
- Cabin in the Woods: A North Georgia Getaway (subscribers only)
Ruhe Haus is one of 42 cabins ready and waiting – with lots to do onsite and nearby too. by Joe Tennis
- Letters – FREE DIGITAL PREVIEW!
- From the Editor – FREE DIGITAL PREVIEW!
- From the Farm – FREE DIGITAL PREVIEW!
- The Hike (subscribers only)
- Mountain Report (subscribers only)
- Creature Feature (subscribers only)
- Events & Festivals – FREE ONLINE EXTRA!
- Mountain Garden (subscribers only)
- Guest Column: Author Jill Jones (subscribers only)